Monday, July 2, 2012

Crazy by Amy Reed

Connor knows that Izzy will never fall in love with him the way he’s fallen for her. But somehow he’s been let into her crazy, exhilarating world and become her closest confidante. But the closer they get, the more Connor realizes that Izzy’s highs are too high and her lows are too low. And the frenetic energy that makes her shine is starting to push her into a much darker place.

As Izzy’s behavior gets increasingly erratic and self-destructive, Connor gets increasingly desperate to stop her from plummeting. He knows he can’t save her from her pain... but what if no one else can? (Published by Simon Pulse, June 12th 2012)



I have been a fan of Amy Reed's work for a long long time. Ever since I bought Beautiful, I have been in love with her writing. The voice the narrator has is always so lifelike, it's like you're reading someone's journal or you can actually picture the person talking to you. And the subject matter is always something I'm very interested in reading.


Crazy did not make me cry. But it did make me emotional. Here we have a boy who is so infatuated, so in love with this wonderful image of a girl he met, but over the course of six months, he watches as she falls apart. He cares so much for her that he tries so hard to help her, but he just doesn't know how. The emotions from Connor, you could tell he literally cared for this girl more than he cared about himself.


And the format of how Reed wrote this, with emails going back and forth was great. You could definitely tell how both Izzy and Connor's inner thoughts worked because they just POURED their emotions into these emails. It definitely gave a clear idea as to what was going on in Izzy's head.


Besides the fact that this book gave a good idea as to how someone with mental illness thinks, it also made me think of myself as a person. Often times in the beginning, I got annoyed with how Izzy said things and how she would insult Connor and take them back, or I got annoyed at how Connor kept talking to her despite all of Izzy's shit (but he did doubt a few times, and I cheered for him, and then felt bad). This book made me realize that I probably wouldn't have the ability to deal with someone with a mental illness unless I was like Connor, to the point where I would stay because I loved them too much to let go.


This book was just really good, and made me think so much as I kept reading. I definitely recommend it to someone who has an interest in this type of topic.



1 comments:

Lexie said...

Lovely lovely review. It makes me happy to read, because I just got this one in the mail, and it looks fantastic, and so it's nice to know it can live up to its premise. From what I've heard, Amy Reed is really fabulous at writing real, genuine stories and the people that make them.

Post a Comment